top of page

Nøstetangen's neighbours: Haugsund, Hoen and Prestegården


Haugsund was not the largest of the towns on Eiker, but it was in the process of establishing itself as a center for the local administration. Meetings were held here and the sheriff lived here. Sundstedet was an important hub, with a shuttle station and inns. The population consisted of timber floaters, char and salmon fishermen, but also some craftsmen and workers who were connected to the farms at Hoen and Vendelborg. It was a rapidly growing settlement.

The Hoen Farms

The farms Øvre Hoen and Nedre Hoen had considerable dirt roads, but primarily these farms were among the most valuable in the village because of their other "splendours". The owner of Øvre Hoen from 1751 was Jens Hofgaard, a well-known timber merchant and proprietor and the man who commissioned the Hoenspokalen. The mill and sawmill operation in Hoenselva was significantly expanded during his time. Lower Hoen belonged to the Winther family. They owned a sawmill and mill at Hellefossen, but the greatest value was the rich salmon fishing below the farm.

Eker rectory

The parish priest was the state's most important official in the local community. People had regular contact with him through church services and other church activities, and the churchyard was an important gathering place, where public announcements were read and where news was spread in the vernacular. In addition, the parish priest, together with the chaplain, bellmen and other assistants, was responsible for important tasks such as school and poor services. The church and rectory thus became an important centre.

bottom of page